Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Are women the only ones striving to be better?

A cat's sneeze started this contemplation for me today. Yes, really, a cat sneezing. I don't even have a cat, so go here if you want to know what that is all about. Anyway, that post led me to browse Julie's Blog and read her "About Me" section, thus pondering the subject's question.

So, onto the question...As I was reading Julie's "About Me", I was thinking...wow I feel the same way. I am about to turn thirty and realize my life is a constant change, a strive for improvement.

I continue to discover myself and work on those things that are not so pleasing about me. My days are spent trying to understand a 3.5 year old boy and find ways to raise him well, treat him well, and not lose my patience with him. My marriage is a constant work in progress, we are always faced with new challenges.

Each day I strive to be better, a better me, a better mom, a better wife, a better person in general.

It seems common for women to feel this way and be open about expressing that, just like Julie does on her blog. However, I wonder if men are striving to be better as well.

Do they think these same sort of thoughts? Do they want to improve their relationship skills, their parenting skills, do they want to try harder at picking their socks up off the floor?

I have to say, I don't think so. Not on a grand scale like women. I think there are a few aspects of some men's lives that they would like to improve. Sure they want to nap more, have more tv time, make better money, try to be home with the family more, but I doubt the majority of them think about improving their lives in the ways we ladies do.

Sorry guys, I do think you are intelligent and work hard and try to be good people, don't get me wrong. However, I think you strive for totally different things than women. I also think women have this internal system that continually grades themselves. We are constantly doubting ourselves and our efforts, checking to see if we get a passing grade. More often than not, we wish we could get a better report card.

Ladies, what do you think?
Any guys out there wanna let me into their mind on this one?

5 comments:

aahcoffee said...

Thanks for coming by....and for linking to my blog. And I think you have hit it spot on....we were made to be in relationship (we women). Relationship with other women, relationship with our family, relationship with our spouses. For most of us, we want to improve those relationships throughout our lifetimes, and we continually strive to do so. I think that a guy's internal struggle is very different from ours.

Jess NBP said...

Wonderful piece Andrea. I agree, although I think mine is trying to do all that, but I wouldn't know b.c it's just him.

Unknown said...

I hope guys "try" to be better fathers, husbands and employees etc... Beyond that though I am not sure. I don't see my dh reading any self help books or trying to find his inner self.

Andrea said...

Exactly Susan! I have never even seen my dh seem concerned about whether or not he is evolving. LOL

Karen Coutu said...

I agree. I don't think they want to improve in the same ways as women. I think they want to get to the point where they don't have to work so hard (i.e., they've gotten promoted enough times to make enough money to be financially secure and the kids are out of diapers so now lets take a nap on the sofa).